REFLECTOR: FW: Blended Winglets and intersection fillets.

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 3 09:17:45 CDT 2011

We made a 3"radius fillet at the Fuselage to strake intersection, top &
bottom. We did this using pour foam which we then sanded down with a 3" PVC
pipe and then covered with BID.

We had some engineers at a certain Aerospace company in Mohave (thanks Ken!)
look at the prospect of doing the same thing on the wing-winglet interface
and the feeling was that the drag reduction would be minimal and the exact
shape required would necessitate extensive testing. The blended winglet
would work better here.

I will attach photos when I get access to them (maybe tonight).

Larry Epstein