REFLECTOR: FW: Blended Winglets and intersection fillets.

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 08:22:08 CDT 2011

Regarding Kevin's e-mail from Monday- Yes, significant drag reduction for
airfoil-to-airfoil intersections like on the winglet to wing area, and good
drag reduction on fuselage to wing interface areas- I have just finished
molding up diverging fillets for my upper cowl- to go with the ones on the
winglets- according to the designer of the AR-5 (and many others) these
areas become  significant source of drag at higher speeds - I have included
construction pics - they have since been finished. I will post pics of the
wing -to-cowl fillets if anyone is interested.  I have the foam forms shaped
on the aircraft, need to get the layups done on them this week.

Ron Gowan (multiple long EZ builder) is working on producing a new kit that
uses true blended winglets (not just fillets) it is called the Nexus- see
pic below -he will be trying to market it at some point- I have enclosed a
picture of that one for the winglet details,  but his spars are actually
single pieces that run up into the winglets with the radius at the
intersection, so it would be difficult to recreate on a Velocity.

Alex

Nexus (prototype is a twin)

Velocity Wing/winglet intersection fairing from aft (minus the rudder)

View from the front