REFLECTOR: Crankcase venting

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Wed Apr 27 12:20:26 CDT 2011

Hello Scott,

The racers are smarter than we are!  No, we didn't use a PVC valve -- I
guess the high loop has similar effect, and I suppose the PVC valve doesn't
contribute much to back pressure.

We tried to compromise between how far the nipple protrudes into the exhaust
flow -- hoping to get a little draw -- and how much back pressure it might
add to the turbo exhaust.  Obviously this approach also eliminates oil
streaks on the bottom of the cowling.  We're really impressed with the
IO-550N (and happy with our turbo mods).  The IO-550N is such a strong and
smooth running engine.  Our turbo goal was to not bubble the lower cowling,
which we achieved, but it added two years to the build time!  Having all the
turbo stuff 'scrunched' up tightly below the engine didn't seem to
appreciably add to the engine cooling issues either.  We're still working on
balancing the CHTs better, though.

Bob

  _____