REFLECTOR: Fw: Burton Takes On New Leadership Role As Florida Air Museum President

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 09:50:22 CDT 2011

Interesting

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
  For more information contact:
Jim Bernegger
      Director, Communications & Marketing
     863-644-2431 x112
jbernegger at sun-n-fun.org

 April 22, 2011

BURTON TAKES ON NEW LEADERSHIP ROLE AS
FLORIDA AIR MUSEUM PRESIDENT

SUN ’n FUN CAMPUS, LAKELAND, FL. – (April 22, 2011) –SUN ’n FUN President John
Burton is taking on a new role and a new challenge: raising the profile and
prestige of the Florida Air Museum (FAM) at the local, regional, national and
international levels, FAM officials announced today.

“SUN ‘n FUN and the Florida Air Museum are all about education” said FAM Board
Chairman and SUN ’n FUN Executive Committee member Pat Hill.  “The incredible
new building at the entrance to campus that houses the Central Florida Aerospace
Academy (CFAA) stands as testament to our commitment to education.  We are now
taking a bold step forward in expanding our year-round mission by naming John
Burton – a proven leader on a national stage – as the person who will lead the
charge as we expand our vision, our programs and our presence.”

Hill said SUN ‘n FUN and the Florida Air Museum have a tremendous opportunity
ahead and that it is critically important to ramp up for the future while taking
advantage of the legacy that has been established over the past 37 years.

“John came to SUN ‘n FUN more than 10 years ago and raised the profile of our
event to a world-class aviation expo,” he explained.  “Now we are asking him to
repeat his success with the Florida Air Museum.  His passion for community and
his skill set in public affairs and industry relations could not be a better fit
to lead the dreams of the FAM organization. And, his commitment to our overall
mission offers the opportunity for us to sustain his deep involvement in making
the SUN 'n FUN International Fly-In & Expo a continuing success.”

Hill said Burton will move from his current position as President of SUN ’n FUN
Fly-In, Inc., to President of the Florida Air Museum effective June 1. A
national search will begin immediately to fill the SUN 'n FUN leadership
position.  Ernie Sanborn, interim FAM President for the past 18 months, will
continue his vital role as head of programming and development and will serve as
FAM’s Executive Vice President.

SUN ’n FUN Fly-In Board Chairman and FAM Board member Bill Eickhoff said
Burton’s move to the museum is a tremendous “win-win” situation for all
involved.

“In discussing the opportunity with leaders in aviation, with leaders in the
regional associated partners and with donors, there is a consensus that John
(Burton) is the type of leader we need to take on the year-round opportunities
and challenges of the Florida Air Museum,” he explained.  “It is clear to
everyone involved that he possesses the specific attributes we were looking for
to take the FAM organization, as the primary driver of the educational mission
of the SUN 'n FUN organization, to the next level and beyond by utilizing the
strong working relationships he has already established within the industry,
government and donor communities.”

Burton has been a member of the SUN ’n FUN staff since July 1999, when he was
named Managing Director.  He was promoted to Executive Director on January 1,
2000, and to President and CEO on January 13, 2001.

“I’m ready, willing and able for this exciting new challenge,” Burton said.  “I
have given my heart and soul to SUN ’n FUN for the past 12 years and am now
ready to begin the next phase of my professional career.  And what better time
than now, especially considering the remarkable Fly-In event we just concluded?
I hope to apply what we learned these past few weeks – that there is no limit to
what can be accomplished by a dedicated and talented team who share a common
passion and a common purpose – in the dynamic new environment of the Florida Air
Museum.  I relish the challenge and look forward to moving forward!”

Prior to joining the SUN ’n FUN staff, Burton worked for the Experimental
Aircraft Association (EAA) in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, for nearly 15 years, most
recently as Vice President of Corporate Communications.  He has also served as
Public Relations Coordinator at Mercy Medical Center in Oshkosh; Publications
Editor at Lawrence University in Appleton (Wis.); and Services Coordinator for
the University of Wisconsin Alumni Association in Madison.

A 1979 Journalism graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Burton has
also worked with ABC (television) Sports on college football broadcasts and the
American League (baseball) Championship Series.  He is also an active volunteer
in and around the Lakeland community.

Burton and his wife, Kristin, are the parents of three daughters: Tahlia (Phil)
Combs, Alayna and Brianna.

________________________________

SUN ’n FUN, a 501(c) (3) not–for–profit organization based in Lakeland, Florida,
is best known for its annual International Fly–In & Expo.  The Fly-In event is
the primary source of funding for an expanding menu of year–round,
aviation-oriented education programs offered through the Florida Air Museum
(FAM).  FAM is a separate 501(c) (3) not–for–profit organization that was named
the state’s “Official Aviation Museum and Education Center” by the Florida
legislature in 2003.  FAM has initiated education programs for aviation
enthusiasts of all ages – especially young people – featuring valuable “hands
on” learning experiences primarily through science, technology, engineering and
math (STEM) initiatives.  SUN ’n FUN and FAM provide ongoing support to the
Central Florida Aerospace Academy (CFAA), a high school career academy located
on the SUN ’n FUN campus that was created in partnership with the Polk County
School Board, Polk State College, the University of South Florida Polytechnic,
Gulf Coast Avionics and other education-minded organizations. A growing
scholarship program provides financial support to ensure these education
programs are accessible to all.

 unsubscribe   subscribe   forward   print pdf