REFLECTOR: Dynon vs Grand Rapids

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:43:44 CDT 2011

Personally, I like to hand fly approaches and routinely do so (about every
4th approach) for currency, but when flying in IMC (especially single
pilot), I use the AP from departure to decision on approach. In the soup, my
job is to monitor the systems and take over if they malfunction. I think
that in most circumstances, "George" can fly an approach better than I can
and it frees me up to maintain situational awareness, look out for traffic,
weather, etc.

For me, an AP must be able to fly coupled approaches (including ILS).

Larry Epstein