REFLECTOR: Dynon vs Grand Rapids

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:16:45 CDT 2011

Hi Larry,

Full disclosure: I'm a Dynon Dealer but I wasn't before I bought my SV
system.  I am a disgruntled BMA guy. :)

My other plane is a Glastar and I installed a SV system in it last July
after the BMA went Tango Uniform on me.  I was delighted with the system and
the company and I embarked on opening up a small business and becoming a
dealer.

I've got a 7" system with an autopilot interfacing my SL30.  Not hardcore
IFR but not bad.  The SV system has 5 serial ports available and will
interface just about anything that puts out a NEMA or compatible digital
serial signal.

With the price and with a interface to an IFR nav device, it's pretty hard
to beat the SV.  Add a GNS-430 and the ARNIC 429 interface and you'll get
VNAV and all the IFR/GPS goodness you could possibly want.

I've got my system backed up by a Dynon D10A.  The autopilot, installation
and performance have been absolutely wonderful.

Possible cons:  Dynon's software is a little immature with regard to
features (not reliability).  It does have moving map, synthetic vision and
most of the other stuff you'd want.  It DOES NOT have multiple way points
and it does not display ETA/ETE information - although this is on the
software release roadmap and they seem to be releasing software 2-3 times
per year.

They also have a MUCH larger install base than the other guys by far which
means there's more eyeballs looking at the system and reporting issues.
 Support is first rate also.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Check out: