REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:45:33 CST 2010

Lou,

I'd like to give you my thoughts on engine preheat and why I favor the sump
heater.  All engine starts are cold starts, even on a warm summer day.  When
we start up the oil pressure is zero and until oil reaches all parts of the
engine that need lubrication, there will be metal to metal contact and high
rates of wear.  On start up EGT will be hot almost instantly and CHT will
rise rapidly with oil temp the last to respond.  My Franklin engine manual
requires a minimum oil temp of 100F before applying full power.  The colder
the oil gets, the thicker it gets and the thicker it gets the longer it
takes to get where it starts protecting the engine from wear.  My sump
heater will heat my oil to about 110F in the dead of winter and with an old
quilt over the cowl the rest of the engine compartment is in the 70;s with
an over night soak.  The oil cooler and oil lines are full of cold oil but
the way both the Franklin and Lycoming work, the external loop is bypassed
when it's cold.  I don't know how the Continentals work.

Larry Coen
N136LC