REFLECTOR: Running LOP -- Climbing or Cruising

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at JaxTechLLC.com
Thu Nov 11 10:36:24 CST 2010

Thanks Scott & Brett,

I think Brett answered the question, and the answer is there is nothing
wrong with running LOP at any altitude, provided you're not at too high of a
power setting (generally accepted in the Tornado Alley (Turbo Cirrus)
community as 75 to 85% power.  So if you want to climb WOT (and you're not
turbocharged) once you get above 5-6000' there is only enough air to get
75-85% power, so you may as well be LOP (assuming you can still keep your
CHTs down).

But that doesn't mean that you can't run LOP at any altitude, as long as
you're below 75-85% power where detonation shouldn't be a problem -- which
was my question.  I think Brett's answer (which applies only to full power
ops) has been turned around inadvertently by some to mean you can't run LOP
safely below 5-6000', which I don't believe is the case, provided (as in all
LOP operations) that you're not at a power setting above 75-85% (and you're
temps are OK) in order to minimize the detonation risk.

We've studied the Deakin/Tornado Alley articles a lot over the years because
that's how we want to operate.  I think these guys have re-opened a whole
new dimension to efficient, safe and good-for-your-engine operations for
general aviation.  The Turbo Cirrus, for one, is designed around LOP
operation.  I was just wondering whether there was something we had missed
concerning cruising LOP at low altitudes...

Thanks,

Bob

  _____