REFLECTOR: 'Mag' Lights for Taxi & Landing

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Tue Nov 9 19:53:04 CST 2010

Jon,

Those are the Taxi lights you saw part of below.  My partner made the Taxi
and Landing lights for our plane using sawed off and 'hogged out' casings
from Mag Lite flashlights.  Then he RTV'd 24 vdc track lights from Home
Depot behind the cover glass in the Mag Lite shell.  The backs are open for
cooling.

Here's a shot of the Taxi lights, which are mounted on the nose gear.

Front view of two of the Landing lights on one of the main gear...

and the back view of the other leg's Landing lights...

Ron made simple sheet aluminum mounting plates for the lights that also
allow them to be aimed up or down to hit the runway properly on landing.
The Landing lights need to be aimed down quite a bit further than you would
think to light up the runway properly.  Despite attempts at the math, it
still required quite a lot of trial and error flights to get it right!  They
work very well, but the bulb life might also be questionable -- we'll see!

Bob Jackson

N2XF

  _____