REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:41:41 CST 2010

I'm happy with my system. If the ambient is going to be below 40 F when I
want to fly, I blow warm air into the cowling overnight with a $20 WalMart
electric heater. It doesn't get as cold in Texas as it does in Maine,
though. You might need to throw some blankets over the cowl to help keep the
heat in.

The guy that built my engine was telling me how important it was to preheat
the engine in cold weather to reduce wear on internal parts. I asked him
what kind of preheater he uses, and I was surprised when he said that he
just blows warm air in from a cheap electric heater. What are the advantages
of more expensive, purpose designed preheating systems?

Doug Holub