REFLECTOR: towbar

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Mon Nov 8 09:40:19 CST 2010

You might be!  The taildragger is only at risk of ground looping when you're
trying to stop it on landing, when it's decelerating, or when the force is
from the front.  And now when I think about it, the nose wheel is only at
risk of shimmy when you are landing, decelerating, and the force is from the
front.  I guess no one worries about shimmy (or ground looping) on take off!

But the bend in the nose wheel fork is there by design to put the CG (and
weight of the nose wheel tire and rim) behind the pivot point of the NG leg.
So I guess that's done to help keep the nose wheel aligned during take-off
and taxi.  And this is actually a de-stabilizing factor during landing and
braking, the root cause of shimmy, but hopefully minimized by the Belleville
washer tension.

So, when we add 'tangs' for the towbar attachment, it sounds like we have a
choice of whether we want the weight of the tangs to de-stabilize take-off
NG alignment (if we put the tangs in the front), or de-stablize landing
alignment (contribute to shimmy) by putting the tangs in the back.

It seems to me that shimmy de-stabilization is the more likely and
significant risk, so we really should have put our 'tangs' on the front, not
the back!  That would also make it a lot easier for the linemen to get the
towbar attached than in our arrangement with the tangs in back!  I guess
we'll have to consider changing them around to the front.

Can anyone else who's more professionally qualified (at least than I am)
verify all this...

Thanks for the insight Brian!

Bob

  _____