REFLECTOR: Carb Temp Gauge

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Dec 31 09:10:00 CST 2010

I have a Mid-Continent carb temp probe installed and connected to my RMI monitor.  In the past, readings were very unstable.  For the past year the reading remained at the highest value (19 C).  I ran new wires (16 ga per recommendation of Mid-Continent) and now the readings are back to unstable.  I had unstable CHT readings also (RMI monitor) and after several unsuccessful attempts to correct this, I bought a new CHT gauge and that solved the problem.  Now I'm thinking of installing a carb temp gauge as well.  Mid-Continent recommends their gauge for the best results.  It's pricey at $436.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/carbtempkit.php

Westach has several, much less expensive gauges.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/carbAirTemp.php

This one shows 9800 ohms in the description.  The Mid-Continent probe reads 99 ohms at 20 C.  I don't know if this is revelant or not.  Can someone tell me if the Westach will work, or do I need the Mid-Continent gauge.

Thanks,

John