REFLECTOR: Dukes 2 speed pump

Craig and Denise Woolston cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 21 07:53:25 CST 2010

We prime our 550N with 4 seconds of "high", then start with no pump.  We are
at 2350' MSL in the desert.  We definitely use "high" to circulate fuel
(mixture cut-off, throttle open) for "hot starts".  We use "low" on takeoff
and landing for a backup to mechanical failure.  I know I have forgotten to
turn on "low" when landing and never have had the engine quit at idle on
approach and our engine will idle statically around 450 rpm.  "High"
definitely will kill engine at any phase of flight so are switch for the
"high" position is guarded.  FWIW.

Craig

XL-5-FG, 550 hrs.

  _____