No subject

Fri Sep 25 16:31:52 CDT 2009

6.    Life jackets for everyone on board - USCG approved - these can be any
style.  I purchased the inflatable pouch type that is worn like a belt;
others like the inflatable type that look like suspenders - or go ahead and
carry the big orange type jackets that are used in boating - all will serve
to meet the regs.  There are several FBOs in Florida that rent life jackets.

Not legally required, but recommended
6A.    Not legally required, but I feel worthwhile, is an inflatable raft -
expensive to buy - best to rent
6B.    EPIRB http://www.acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2799.4NH    I
purchased an ACR unit with built in GPS.  If your aircraft has a type 121.5
ELT, no one will hear its signal if the aircraft is ditched.  This portable
unit is a type 406.  If you are on a flight plan (which you will be) and if
the unit is registered (I hope you will will do this!), the receipt of a
type 406 beacon signal triggers a search response within minutes.
6C    Handheld marine or aviation band tranceiver

Forms, Forms, Forms
Really they are not that bad.  To learn more about forms be sure the buy the
Bahamas and Caribbean Pilots Guide.  This is absolutely a "must have"
publication.  Highly recommended.  Get it at Sportys or any other major
aviation book store.  This book describes the forms needed by Bahamain
customs and immigration, including sample copies.  Also, the Bahamian dept
of tourism has formed relationships with several Florida FBOs to help GA
pilots with forms.  I visited the Tiki at Fort Pierce (which is also a
convenient Airport of Entry when coming back to the USA).  The folks at the
Tike will brief you on what's required and even fill the forms for you!

Other items you will need include:
7.    Pilot License wth the words "English Proficient" printed on the
license.  If yours is an older pilot's license version, it may not say these
words.  Please contact the FAA to arrange for a replacement license with the
words "English Proficient".  This takes about 2-weeks.
8.    US Passport

Aircraft will need:
9.    Airworthiness Certificate
10.    Original (white copy) of Aircraft Registration
11.    Radio Station license (previously mentioned)
12.    Operating handbook - Operating Limitations
13.    Weight & Balance

By the way - other than your Passport, no one looks at any of these things.
All are required, however.

Not legallay required, but a good idea - have a copy of your aircraft
insurance declaration form that shows your aircraft insurance is in force
for flights to the Bahamas.  Your insurance company will be glad to mail/fax
this to you.  I laminated my copy and keep it in the aircraft.

Flight planning -
After you figure out your outbound flight planning, file a an Internation
Flight Plan with FSS.  If you are going VFR, you will need to open and CLOSE
the flight plan on your own.  If flying IFR to one of the major Bahama
airports, the plan is closed for you  - however ( I think ) you will still
need to close the flight plan on your own if you are flying IFR to one of
the minor airports.  The plan can be closed by radio while airborne; or by
telephone after you land.

More later.
Scott B