REFLECTOR: Making Velocities easier to build?

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 19:53:35 CDT 2009

I think that pioneering Velocity kit builders will testify that many changes have taken place over the history of the company.  Kits today are much easier and quicker to build then ever before.  The redesign of parts has taken an evolutionary process, rather than a wholesale re-make of the way the aircraft go together.
The 51% compliance rule that pertains to Experimental Amateur Built aircraft definately influences what a kit company can and cannot do.  Regional FAA offices (MIDO and/or FSDO) often apply different interpretations to the same set of rules that are established by the FAA for our industry.  The Seattle office, for instance, agrees with the concept of a 2-weeks to taxi program, while the Orlando office flatly refuses to accept something of this sort.  Much mention has been made to the FAA's reorganization of the "51% Rule".  14-months ago at Oshkosh I met with Frank Paskiewicz, the FAA's "top dog" with regards to FAA licensing of aircraft in the Experimental airworthiness catagory.  Paskiewicz promised to "level the playing field" for all kit manufacturers across the country - meaning we will all soon be following the same set of rules.  The FAA is most definately working on this task; and in fact, Velocity has a meeting scheduled next month with the FAA National Kit Evaluation Team (NKET) for an interactive session and study of how composite airframes blend into FAA's new way of looking at the 51% compliance rules.  We've yet to see exactly what the FAA has in mind.  Getting back to Paskiewicz and the promise of a "level playing field", this could mean that all aircraft companies will be able to organize a rapid build kit like Epic and Glasair - or - everyone might be going back to making aircraft doing things the "hard way".  Still, the FAA understands that the more components and sub-assemblies a factory provides, generally speaking, quality and safety performance is better than if a true amatuer were doing the work in a home/workshop environment.  Regardless, the Velocity Standard and XL kits, in their present form and including fastbuild options, are grandfathered as "compliant" with the FAA's 51% rule.  We are optimistic that the FAA will embrace the idea of more factory made parts and sub-assemblies.
Scott B