REFLECTOR: N647JA Flys!

Chuck c.harbert1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 28 11:11:01 CDT 2009

Congrats, Scott.

I think most first flights have high temp problems, but they're curable. I
don't remember which plane/engine combo you have, but if you have the
overhead naca ducts, you might try installing some vg's at the front of the
entrance. I made mine out of 1/2" angle aluminum and it dropped my temps by
15 deg F (I have Std RG IO360-Catto).

If you're only getting 2000-2150 rpm at t/o, that's really too low. RPM and
hp are directly related so you're down 20% (2000/2500) at t/o. I had a
similar problem (cruise prop) until I installed a turbo (I'm also looking at
a Vesta CS prop). You can get excess heating if your timing is off. Good
luck and way to go.

Chuck H