REFLECTOR: Nose Gear Overcenter Stop

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Sep 22 20:35:38 CDT 2009

Jon;

The so-called over-center stop is simply some 1/8” x 1” (from memory) AL
flat stock with about ¾” 90 degree bend-back at each end for drilling and
mounting to the inside of the keel with a couple -10 screws on each side.
It should actually not serve as the stop - the cylinder rod linkage should
be adjusted to stop fully extended with the over-center linkage about ¼”
over center (above horizontal).  The stop should then be mounted edge-on
against the linkage, which would prevent it from going any further; and
absorb additional load from bouncing on the nose gear to prevent damage to
the cylinder.  The over center stop then becomes a good place to mount the
down-and-locked micro switch.

The main concern regarding heating of the main gear leg is radiant heat from
the brake rotor.  I used a piece of thin SS sheet about the width of the
leg, which mounts between the axle flange and the leg and extends upward to
the top of the rotor.  Just above axle flange make a double bend so the heat
shield is spaced about 1/8-1/4” away from the leg.  Makes an excellent
radiation baffle.

Went through my files, but couldn’t find a photo of either item.

Al