REFLECTOR: Main Gear Brake Heat Sheild

Jack Prock jackprock at comcast.net
Tue Sep 22 16:23:32 CDT 2009

My kit is a 2002 and it came with phonelic shields  http://phenolic-sheets-rods-tubes.com/.
Basically a heat shield that you place between the brake disk and the gear leg. If I didn't have that, I
would have probably made a heat shield out of 1/4" aluminum or something
similar. You really just need something to block the radiant heat from the brake disk.
So anything that shields the leg.

I am not flying yet, so my comments are anecdotal. I would think you could also
wrap the leg with some insulating material and then with aluminum tape or something
similar (kinda ugly though)

Jack