REFLECTOR: FG-nose Gear

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 17:08:57 CDT 2009

All.

I decided to change out the old nose gear shock/damper for the new kind. The old style is a pretty poor design since the round tube rests against a flat steel plate. The capturing piece helps side to side movement, but not the bending problem folks have been having with the Damper. IF there was a flat plate welded onto the forward side of the gear tube that bolted to the damper, it would help but would not line up if it was a retrofit.

The new damper is twice as big and the gear tube gets preloaded into the rubber. This greatly improves the contact area as well as the actual damping capability of the assembly.

While I have not yet tried either of them out, I find the "new" damper to be a much better idea. See below:

Kurt Winker