REFLECTOR: Yet another taxi test!

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Sep 16 09:09:35 CDT 2009

--- scott at tnstaafl.net wrote:

1.)  high oil temps?  Should I expect that when doing these taxi tests?
I know if I had actually taken off, the nose oil cooler would have
really started to work with the higher air speed...  Anybody else see
similar temps when taxi testing with a already hot engine?  I have to
say I have a fan driven secondary oil cooler which I neglected to turn
on until right before the last run.  Needs to be added to my checklist!

I have basically no cooling during taxi.  If the engine and oil are cold I have plenty of time to get in the air before CHTs and oil get too hot.  When the engine is warm, I try to get in the air asap (run-up while taxiing).  I have blowers for the oil cooler and the engine and always use them on the ground when the engine is warm.  That buys me some time, but temps still climb.  240F = 115 C. My oil has been that hot only once after a long taxi after landing at OSH.  This resulted in broken rings in the two rear cylinders.  Hopefully you don't have that problem.  High oil consumption will be the indicator.

John