REFLECTOR: electric Velocity

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 00:53:10 CDT 2009

Just for fun, I crunched some numbers to see what could be done with today's off-the-shelf technology. With an electric constant speed prop, I think a Velocity could get by with a 100kW motor (135 hp).  For 3 hours of range it would need 16,000 farads of 250 VDC capacitance. The Mouser catalog has Nichicon 4000 farad, 2.5 volt capacitors for about $200 each, so it would need 400 of those, for a total cost of $80,000. The internal impedance would be about .05 ohms for the entire capacitor array. These capacitors would require a volume of 36 x 42 x 12 inches, and they would weigh about 700 lbs + another 200 lbs for motor and controller for a total of 900 lbs "fuel" and engine installation weight.

20 years ago the biggest capacitor you could buy was 1 farad, and the internal impedance was a few ohms. I can't wait to see what the next 10 years brings.

Doug Holub