REFLECTOR: Making Flying a Velocity easier

Dave david.staten at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 22:36:14 CDT 2009

RBrim wrote:

> Back to flying after 18 months and a successful bout with cancer. A
> couple of things I noticed about flying the velocity, things that make
> it more work than it could be, wondering if any of you have already
> figured out how to solve it, and I’m just beind the times.
>
> 1. There’s too much elevator at cruise. Little movements create lots
> of altitude jump. Makes me aware I need to train my hand again.

Fingertips.. use finger pressure in cruise once trimmed.

> 3. How to respond to approach to descend without picking up a bunch of
> speed? Mine gets fast very quick as soon as I get close to 500 fpm if
> I’m anywhere within 20 kts of cruise. Is anyone dropping the main gear
> only (as a speed brake) or figuring out some other approach to point
> the nose over and not get into the yellow zone so easily?

This is a question that applies to other slick aircraft.. Tigers,
Mooneys.. the answer? pull power.. just an inch or two of MP or a few
hundred RPM if fixed pitch...

I was unaware that Velocity was intending the mains and the nose to be
retracted independently, to allow "grazing" or to use the mains as a
speed brake like Nasa does on the their modded gulfstream Shuttle
Training Aircraft. Absent their support, I'd be hesitant to go there
unless you are prepared to accept the uncertainty and engineering involved.

Pulling a part of your power will not shock cool your engine, and you
will descend at cruise speed.

Dave