REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy

Dale Alexander dalexan48 at dslextreme.com
Fri Sep 4 19:55:05 CDT 2009

Hi all,

SWR stands for Standing Wave Ratio. It is a measurement of the amount of
reflected output power in an antenna system. The lower the value the better.
When I installed my Bob Archer VOR and Comm antennas in the wings, I
measured the values and both were close to 1:1. Anything up to 2:1 is
acceptable. Over that and you will start damaging the output section of the
radio with reflected power coming back.

As far as the Comm radio mounting trays, I had a Musketeer that had one
radio that would show transmission, but nothing would be received outside
the plane...unless someone pushed on the faceplate and seated the radio in
the back connectors. It would seem that over time with a little vibration,
the connectors would loosen up and become intermittant. The solution? It is
not A&P acceptable, but why not cut out a portion of the back tray and
install a pigtail for both the antenna and cables? Leave enough slack to
allow removal of the radio for service. That way the antenna and cables can
have a positive screwed together connection that is imperious to vibration.
This might be the source for the "slot one" problem.

Waiting for the slings and arrows from Al G,

Dale Alexander