REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Fri Sep 4 14:47:51 CDT 2009

Rene Dugas wrote:
> Brett,
> Good idea.  I'll check.
>   I don't know how to use an antennae meter but I'm trainable.  Is there
> some other way to check?  Could I connect my handheld to the wing antennae
> or will it explode(kidding).  Will the hairs on my arm stand up if I stand
> close to the wing while transmitting.  Just probing.  Not my area of
> expertise.  I'm a good crimper though.  What does SWR stand for?
> Rene'

SWR is 'standing wave ratio'.  Basically, it indicates how much of the
radio signal gets reflected back into the radio and/or transmission line
(and never gets transmitted into the air).  Technically, most meters
probably read VSWR (voltage standing wave ratio) and the idea is to have
as low a number as possible.  You probably wouldn't want a VSWR reading
of higher than 2:1 at the center of your broadcast band.  The number is
a good indication of how well matched your radio, transmission line, and
antenna are.  If there is something wrong with any of these components,
it will usually send the VSWR sky-high.

I own an MFJ antenna analyzer but I don't lend it out other than locally
(BMI).

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD FG