REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 19:17:18 CDT 2009

I used this for my #2 radio and it outperforms the embedded winglet
antennas.

http://www.miracleantenna.com/AirWhip.htm

Dear Radio Wave Gurus,

I have a number one radio that is weak and scratchy per ATC. I have dual
Garmin 430s with Shaw wings and embedded ant.  I cleaned all my connections
in the radio stack and the BNC connectors to the wing ant connection.  I
confirmed continuity of the shielding and central conductor.  I had made no
changes in over 300 hour of flying without problem.  So I sent it in to
Garmin who "realigned something" and charged me $1,000.00 through my
avionics shop.  It is no better.  Can only partially be heard by atc on the
taxiways.  I suspect and antenna or wiring problem but I am unsure what to
do next.  I have run a new coax outside of the plane to the wing BNC and no
difference.  If it is the antennae what can it be and how do I check it?  If
it is the rack - ideas?  My next thought was to replace the BNC connector on
the antenna itself but I was reluctant to if I was just missing something.
I now have upgraded both 430s and can swap them in the rack and it seems to
be slot one problem.  I don't think it is a Garmin problem.

Any help would be appreciated.  Is there a Radio Shack fix?

Rene'