REFLECTOR: elevator torque tube air

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 14:30:05 CDT 2009

Someone asked about how to minimize air coming in the hole for non-concentric elevator torque tubes. This is what I did, and it definitely helped. I think that hole below the elevators is in a pretty high pressure spot on the airframe, so I just added a little strake to try to make that hole a low pressure spot.

I was flying yesterday and put my hand under the instrument panel to feel how much air was coming in.  There is still a little breeze near the right rudder pedal, but it's not the blast of air that was there before. I haven't flow the plane in winter yet, though, so we'll see how well it works in the next few months. I'm sure it won't be sealed as well as can be done with concentric torque tubes.

Doug Holub