REFLECTOR: Duct ventillation

Jerry Teitsma jerryteits at comcast.net
Wed Oct 21 13:36:19 CDT 2009

I have also experienced very hot temps in the ducts both on the side
carrying the oil lines and on the other side.  I stopped or reduced this
temporarily by stuffing the duct opening at the firewall.  I have reasoned
that I am building up too much pressure under the cowling.   I have a
Franklin engine in a standard size velocity and the exit area at the prop is
quite congested.  I am attempting to solve the perceived pressure build-up
by building a reverse scoop on the bottom of the cowling to pull air out of
the engine compartment.  This should also aid in cylinder head cooling.  I
have not yet flown with the modification so time will tell.

Jerry Teitsma
Velocity 173 FG
Granby, CO
N241JT