REFLECTOR: Pitot Tube

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Oct 13 18:50:13 CDT 2009

Kurt uses the same one I do.  It is an AN5813-1, made for 24 Volt systems.
I tested mine before installing, and at 12 volts it takes about 1.75 amps,
making about 25 watts of heat.  Mine extends only about 1 ¼” out the nose,
and has one layer of ‘Koolmat’ insulation around it.  If left on when on the
ground it gets way too hot to touch, but does no damage to the surrounding
fiberglass.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it is that when I bought it back in
june, 2000 it was $129.  Now A.S. sells it for $950.  And they say health
care costs have gone up!

Al

I used a straight heated Pitot that is for larger twins. It is a 28V unit,
but I am running it on 14V. Looks great to my eye, sticks out the front
about 5" (can't find cleaner air than that). I can post a pic if anyone is
interested once I get home.

Kurt Winker