REFLECTOR: Cowl Flap?

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 13 14:55:50 CDT 2009

Bill, I had mine wrapped on a 4 into one and it helped but it also
helped corrode the pipes which were only mild steel. I replaced with the
2 into 1 stainless and had them ceramic coated (inside and out) at
jethot. The pipes are much cooler and take up less room in engine
compartment (wrapping and crossover)..Tom

I missed much of this discussion, so not sure if CHT or Oil Temp is the
issue.

However, I just had my IO360 in for a top on two cylinders and the shop
owner (Magnum engines) asked about oil temps.  I advised they always
ran high on climb out, etc.  (220+).   He wanted to know why I didn't
wrap my exhaust pipes since they ran under the oil pan (I have a custom
semi-tuned, 4 into one exhaust system).   When I reinstalled the engine
I bought the wrap kit and installed on all exhaust pipes.   Oil temp has
dropped 30 degrees and has yet to break 220 even on long taxis this
summer.   I probably picked up a few horsepower to boot.   It's a simple
fix I wish I would have done seven years ago.

Bill N12WS  173FGE