REFLECTOR: Pitot tube

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:02:42 CDT 2009

Connected in parallel with the cooler would prevent any flow problems.
Electrically heated pitot tubes need to supply enough energy to overcome the
cooling effect of that 200 MPH breeze during flight and unless they have a
thermostat get way too hot for a fiberglass mount on the ground.  An oil
heated pitot would never get hotter than the oil just like the fiberglass
mounted oil cooler.  This also means that the oil heated pitot would need a
heating jacket that extends full length plus a wrap of insulation on top of
that.  Sounds a little bulky which is probably why we haven't seen one
before.  Maybe not practical but a really cool idea.

Larry Coen
N136LC