REFLECTOR: Nose OIl cooler scoop flaw

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:08:41 CDT 2009

   On August 3, 2002, Tim Crawford suffered a stroke while flying his LongEZ
aircraft south of Martha's Vineyard during the CBLAST experiment.
     Tim was the Director of NOAA's Air Resources Laboratory's Field
Research Division in Idaho Falls.  He joined NOAA/ARL as a physical
scientist in 1986; prior to that he was a research analyst and an
environmental engineer for the TVA. Tim received a Ph.D. in Mechanical
Engineering from the University of Waterloo (1977), a M.S. in Civil
Engineering from the University of Illinois (1972); and a B.S. in ME from
the University of Illinois (1971).
     Tim loved to fly.  He constructed five experimental aircraft and held
FAA aircraft builder and commercial instrument pilot licenses.  He was an
innovative engineer and received the Department of Commerce Bronze Medal and
NOAA Administrator's Award, both for design and application of airborne
instrument systems.  Finally, Tim was an extremely versatile scientist.  As
he once said to Jerry Crescenti of NOAA/ARL: "It's not about the flying.
It's about the science."