REFLECTOR: Oil Cooling Capacity

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Mon Oct 12 09:23:22 CDT 2009

Brett,

My own experience is 1) with two and the nose pseudo-NACA pushing air through front oil cooler, I don't think I ever saw 200F under any circumstances.  The downside was, there flow through the front oil cooler was so great, it's use as a heater was nil.  2) with the NACA eliminated and air pushed through the front oil cooler, and the air dumped overboard or into cabin for heat, 195F-210F is typical and can go higher during hot or long climbs.  3) with the blower turned off, oil temps run 215F-225F and can go as high as 240F during climb or cruise at altitude in warm weather. In short, I cannot run with one oil cooler (300hp).

I'll probably make one last change to my configuration.  I'll put a Van's air diverter valve in the fresh air hose that current provides panel eyeball cooling from the remaining nose NACA.  In hot weather, particularly during a climb, I'll direct much of the air from the NACA through the oil cooler with just enough directed to cabin to keep the occupants comfortable.  The overhead plenum is okay, it provides a lot of air, but it blows on your head, whereas the panel eyeball can be directed to the lower torso area---much more comfortable.

This will allow better oil cooling, when needed, yet retain the ability to use the bilge blower to circulate cabin air through the oil cooler for cabin heat.

Ken Mishler reshaped the front oil cooler outlet area.  When it is flush, it definitely is a high pressure area and the air wanted to back up through the oil cooler, or it was near neutral.  Ken shaped a ramped lip on the front of the opening and tapered it back.  It did a good job of creating a low pressure area because the air is definitely drawn overboard through the oil cooler, so the shape of the outlet is important--no speed difference noted.

Chuck Jensen