REFLECTOR: Oil Cooling Capacity

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Mon Oct 12 07:07:01 CDT 2009

Chuck,

That's a great question (and one that I asked recently).  It seems that most folks are running two.  It also seems that 1 is probably sufficient for oil cooling.  VV#11 seems to indicate that bubba originally flew with just one and had acceptable temps (http://n44vf.velocityxl.com/articles/views/full/V11.pdf), and the Cozy 540 guys tell me the same, that they installed the second for cabin heating.  Klaus also mentioned seeing a failed oil pump in a long-tubing-run-to-the-nose installation, he felt was caused from the excessive friction.

So, since we had our little issue with the nose cooler, I'm going to *try* and run without the nose cooler and see if I can maintain good oil temps, and if I can seal the airplane sufficiently that the electric heat I can squeeze out of my alternators can keep Unit 2 (Elizabeth) adequately warmed....

Brett