REFLECTOR: Oil Cooling Capacity

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Oct 11 17:30:18 CDT 2009

I'm running a 520.  I do have two coolers but one has no air flowing
through it yet. Its under the back seat.  I was going to use the second
cooler primarily as a cabin heater by recirculating cabin air through it
and possibly as a secondary cooler for hot area takeoffs, like Phoenix
in August.

I only have two flights now on the 520, the first flight I was at
235/240F in about 15 minutes, the second flight after much work on the
plenum, It was at 205 in 15 minutes of full throttle.  It stayed at 205
for another 10 minutes but I had reduced the power to about 50%.  I
think that is still to hot, and am contemplating ways to improve that.
Putting a reverse scoop on the oil cooler exit to lower the pressure is
probably my next step in that area.

I'm sure(hope) it can be done, but I do know you MUST have your CHT's
under control.  If your cooking your cylinders because that part of your
cooling process is poor, your swimming up hill trying to keep the oil
cool. My engine has spray nozzles that bath the under side of the
pistons to cool them which just transfers that heat into the oil. If
your cylinders are running hot, the oil will follow that trend.   Some
never get their cylinder temps under control and add an oil cooler to
fix a symptom of the  real problem.

I still have more work I can do to get my cylinder temps down to where
they should be, all in the 360F range in cruise.  Once I do that if my
oil temps are still high I will apply something to that part of the
cooling process.

I should have better data in a few weeks.

Scott