REFLECTOR: Nose Cooler Pressure Study

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Oct 11 11:08:40 CDT 2009

Before we go too far down this path; I'm going to throw in another factor. I
agree that getting sufficient flow is about getting sufficient pressure drop
across the core. Sufficient flow is the first priority; the second is
minimum drag.  For that you'd like to have maximum pressure recovery in the
duct before the core (conversion of dynamic pressure to static pressure); to
take the drop across the core; and have pressure (energy) left to accelerate
the air in a converging duct to have it exit at some reasonable velocity
closer to free stream.  The expansion due to the heating helps out.

So 0 pressure at the aft face of the cooler is not the ideal (and we need to
distinguish between static and dynamic pressure - depends how you measure
it) Zero, or better yet, negative static in the region outside the exit is a
good thing.

Of course having good flow and low drag would likely require a substantial
rework of the stock ducting - perhaps beyond where you'd like to go. And I
fully agree that some pressure measurements can certainly help in
understanding what's going on.

Al