REFLECTOR: Nose OIl cooler scoop flaw

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Oct 10 10:09:37 CDT 2009

Scott;

I think you’re right, it’s sort of a half NACA, half ram, half (bleep)
scoop.  I know it’s tough to cut into a nice paint job, but that may be your
best solution.  It is in a relatively high pressure area which is good, but
a NACA scoop is not optimal anyway for something a restrictive as fairly
dense core heat exchanger.

I’d smooth out (and forget the NACA shape) the entrance, and maybe pull out
the entrance lip a bit to give an opening about ¼ of the face area of the
cooler – maybe a touch more.  Basically as you said; a submerged ram scoop.
It will be ingesting the boundary layer which is going to trip some
turbulence in the duct, but the BL is still quite thin that close to the
nose. Make a smooth expansion into the duct.

Just my thoughts.

BTW, what pitch is Catto shooting for with the new prop? I can see where
trying to re-do a pitch of 105 (or whatever it was) down to maybe 85 - 90
would be tough, and still maintain the right blade profile.  Great that
he’ll give you credit on your prop.

Good luck,

Al