REFLECTOR: Vin de Velocitie

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Fri Oct 9 19:53:36 CDT 2009

A while back I posted a question on this list regarding "hardening
hardeners".  To recap, I was having difficulty with EZ-Poxy hardener
becoming too thick to  work with.  The hardener came with my kit  from
the factory less than 2 years ago.  I kept the hardener at a temp of
about 85 deg in a heating cabinet.  Heating it up to a temp of about
130 deg helped for a while but it  would soon return to a viscous
state that made it unusable.  Pretty soon I gave up and retrieved
another 1/2 gal jug that had been stored in my basement for two years
at a constant 70-75 deg temp.  This hardener had crystalized and was
barely pourable.  I heated it to about 130 degrees and it returned to
a normal viscosity.

While enjoying a glass of wine one evening I began to think about this
issue.  Why did the hardener in my warming cabinet become unusable
while the stuff (from presumably the same batch) stored in a sealed
bottle at a cooler temperature was quite satisfactory.  The only
environmental difference between the two was temperature and exposure
to air.  (The stuff in the basement was in a full 1/2 gal container
that had never been opened).  Controlling temperature would be easy,
but how could I control exposure to air.  I took another sip of wine
and then it struck me!  Preserve the hardener as I do wine.

Saving an unfinished bottle of wine for a few days oftentimes resulted
in less that optimum flavor ......until we found a simple vacuum
system.  It consists of a rubber type stopper and a hand vacuum pump.
By putting the leftover wine in a partial vacuum we found that we
could preserve it quite satisfactorily for over a week.  VOILA... Vin
de Velocitie.  I put some of the new hardener in my ratio pump and put
the rest in a wine bottle sealed with the vacuum stopper.  So far, it
looks as if the hardener in the wine bottle is maintaining its
viscosity.

Of course, to make this all happen, I had to finish the bottle of wine
(so I could have the bottle).  It was but a small sacrifice to further
the cause of science and experimental aviation!

Brooke

IMG_2323