REFLECTOR: Door strut review

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:55:42 CDT 2009

I am still using the old 17" 60# gas springs.  I think we can all agree that the original placement with the attach point at the upper rear corner on the door worked really badly.  It took me several tries to find the "sweet spot" for the gas spring.  I did not add any reinforcement to the door or the hinge area and my doors work well.  The spring is attached to the door about the center of the window and the other end is located on the carbon fiber beam at the upper rear corner of the door opening. The door opens fully and is also held closed (mind your fingers Al) with this position.  The position of the gas spring on the fuselage is the tough one to locate.  The lower you go the better the angle for holding the door open but if you go too low then the gas spring will run out of travel and the door won't close.  When it's at the right spot you will use the full travel of the gas spring.

Larry Coen
N136LC