REFLECTOR: Air vent sources

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:35:05 CDT 2009

I used a pair of black plastic eyeball vents from a Jeep Cherokee for about $10 each on Ebay and they work very well. A lot more air than the little aluminum eyeball vents. I thought they might leak with 200 mph air, but they don't.  My hangar neighbor just bought an RV that had those little aluminum eyeball vents. He wasn't getting enough air so he installed vents like mine and he's very happy now.

The downside is that they take up more panel space.

This is off topic, but my wife and flew back from Houston on Monday afternoon after waiting for two days for the weather to lift. (The forecasts said I would be able to fly home VFR on Saturday afternoon.) That was the first time I'd ever flown cross country at 180 mph only 800 feet AGL, and it's kinda fun. I know a lot of you guys cruise at 200+ mph, but compared to my old 150 hp Tri-Pacer, 180 mph is really screaming, and it seems even faster close to the ground.

Doug Holub
2009 Standard FG w/ electric nose lift