REFLECTOR: Do Plans include Carbon Fiber "Y"?

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:07:30 CDT 2009

Al Gietzen mentioned this geometry issue in a post yesterday, and Jim Agnew
advised me to install carbon reinforcement back in the late 90s. Here's the
thing. The entire fuselage will distort after you hang the engine on - and
doors may no longer fit properly. Physical forces from engine weight will
change all of the geometry.

Jim advised laying up a 2-bid carbon fiber "Y" on the top of the fuselage
(inside cabin). I don't know if it's in the plans by now, but I think it
should be a standard part of the build. I did this about 6 years ago before
installing the engine. I laid up a 12" wide carbon fiber "Y" on the ceiling
of the fuselage. The two branches of the Y go to the firewall, and attach
about 3 inches down onto the wall to add extra strength where firewall and
cabin intersect. The two branches of the Y meet about in the middle of the
cabin, then the trunk of the Y runs all the way to the front windscreen.

Added benefit is a stronger "egg" in case you ever end up in a ground loop.

My engine weighs 450 pounds, and my cabin is true to the original. Doors fit
same as when I first installed them. Door pins are tight, so there might be
minor distortion. But that should be easy to fix.

--
All the best,
Dennis