REFLECTOR: Flying to the Bahamas

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sun Oct 4 11:39:44 CDT 2009

Scott,

Makes me wish for simple times.  Not long ago all you needed was a pilot's
license and that was about it!  In the Bahamas, it is still that way.  Fill
in a few of the customary customs forms and away you go.

It's ironic that is is the USA side of things that adds to the bureaucracy
and stress of a Bahama flying adventure.  May God bless the TSA.  I know
they have a job to do, but there is something wrong when you have to worry
about all the rules and regulations of getting back to your home country.
One can exit the country by foot, by car, by boat, by cruise ship, and by
airlines without notifying the TSA, but in the case of a private aircraft,
you need government permission to leave the United States.  I still do not
understand the justification of this policy.  For those who have not yet
applied for an eAPIS account - you will be shocked.  By applying for an
eAPIS account you agree to allow the TSA access to your personal records,
including financial records.  If you do not agree, you do not get an eAPIS
account.  And without an eAPIS account, you do not fly a GA aircraft outside
the borders of the USA.

Thank goodness common sense prevails with some TSA offices.  When I called
the CBP office at Ft. Pierce, I called the day before to inform them I was
coming home - and then I asked about procedures to follow if I needed to
deviate because of weather.  I will never forget the voice of the agent who
replied, "Don't worry about a thing.  There is no one here to knock you
around if you miss your arrival time.  If you are an hour or two late, don't
worry about it.  Fly safe.  If you land at another airport because of
weather, all we ask is that you give us a call."  What a relief to hear
these words, I almost cried.

Scott B