REFLECTOR: Flying to the Bahamas

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sun Oct 4 06:09:55 CDT 2009

http://www.bahamas.com/vacation-planning/private-air
http://www.thebahamasguide.com/facts/airports.htm
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=5874&CATID=92
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=11778&CATID=180
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/apis/

Hello Terry,
After living in Florida for 9-years I decided it was about time to fly to
the Bahamas, and launched into learning all that is required from regulatory
and practical safety points of view.
Getting ones "ducks in a row" took a few weeks.  This is what it involved
for me:
1.    Getting a Customs Border Patrol aircraft sticker - The CBP recommends
this be done by internet, but I understand the sticker can also be purchased
at a CBP office
2.    Register with the CPB for an electronic APIS account - refered to as
"eAPIS" - this allows you to electronic file for permission to leave and
re-enter the USA
3.    12" high registration numbers are required by the USA
4.    Aircraft Radio Station Permit - Get this from the Federal
Communications Commission
5.    Radio Operators Permit - Get this also from the FCC
Note: Items 1-5 are all for the benefit of the authorities in the USA.  The
Bahamanian officials don't need any of the above.