REFLECTOR: Making Velocities easier to build?

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Fri Oct 2 00:08:58 CDT 2009

I think a little constructive criticism should be welcomed.

I have had exemplar support from the factory.  I don't claim to have needed anything special, but have always been treated well.  I have also visited the factory on a number of occasions, given an impromptu tour, as well as had quite a bit of time given to me to discuss installation issues, show me examples, etc., always very much appreciated.

Insurance of consistent QC is always a challenge - requiring continuous attention and intervention when problems are identified.

Attached is one example of a part I elected to replace; the brake caliper shim.  The Matco axles are machined so the top bolts are smaller diameter than the bottom bolts.  This is done because when landing, the bottom bolts will be in tension, and for weight savings.  The shims provide for the correct caliper spacing for the Cleveland brake upgrade, but had all 4 holes drilled to the larger bolt size.

Another example, the canard cuffs were about 1"+ too short - so I had to feather additional glass.

Or having to fix the trailing edge of the elevators - glass was not bonded.

Or an 'improvement' like changing the bolt location on the toe-brake system (where the rudder bracket is attached) - for more clearance of the Matco brake cylinders.