REFLECTOR: Canard incidence angle.

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:11:30 CST 2009

I made a statement in a previous post that the incidence angle of the canard was six degrees greater than the main wing.  I can no longer remember where I got that number so I went to the hanger and measured actual angles on my plane to see if that statement was accurate.  I leveled the plane for pitch and set a digital level parallel to the cord of the canard.  I also measured the difference in height above the floor of the leading and trailing edge then divided by the span of the canard and looked it up in a sine table.  Both gave a result of five degrees.  Part of the six degree statement was that the main wing has a negative incidence of one degree at the fuselage.  As near as I can measure, it is minus 1/2 degrees on my plane.

To qualify the above, my plane is a standard with wings and canard built by me and aligned with the factory incident gauges.  The angle at the fuselage, however. is determined when you install the strakes and is not determined by the main wing incident gauge.  Your mileage may vary.

Larry Coen
N136LC