REFLECTOR: Elevator Cuff size? Aileron gaps 1/8th"?

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Nov 28 16:10:30 CST 2009

Elevator Cuff - Yes or No?
A couple years after I bought my kit, Alan Shaw called and suggested I
remove about 2/3rds of my elevator cuffs. I took his advice, but still have
a 21" cuff remaining on both left and right elevators. I hear most later
models have removed 100% of the cuff. Is anyone still flying with partial
cuff, and if so, do you like it? Does it dampen the nose drop while landing?
Does it land significantly faster with1/3rd cuff compared to Vs with no
cuff?

Dennis;

I went through the same - removed a little over half initially, then removed
the rest after flying for awhile.  Removing the last portion didn't make a
lot of difference; did give a bit more elevator authority.

1/8th" gap on both sides of ailerons a good idea?
Alan Shaw also built both my long wings and ailerons. Ailerons are 90" long.
10 years after getting my kit, Malcolm Collier, who built a few dozen Velos,
told me I need a 1/8th" gap on both sides of the aileron to prevent binding
while under load. Anybody out there who's flying and has an opinion on this?

You don't necessarily need 1/8", but you do need some clearance.  With the
tanks full of fuel, put the plane up on jack-stands a 3-4 feet in from the
ends of the wings.  See that the ailerons still have some clearance at the
ends through full motion.

Al