REFLECTOR: lighting

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Fri Nov 27 12:49:47 CST 2009

I am rethinking the lighting on my Velo.  I am leaning toward Aveo LED
system.  The tip lights have red/green, white and a strobe.  But these wont
be able to be seen from the rear per FAR 23.1397.  The Aveo dealer suggested
a Posistrobe on top of the fuselage.  It has a white position light plus a
strobe.  This fulfills the FAR as it can be seen from the rear, but I am not
convinced it completes the picture for FAR 23.1401 for horizontal lighting
and there may be an area below the plane not covered by any of these lights.
A second Posistrobe on the bottom would fix this, but it costs $306.  Do I
need the bottom strobe?   Other suggestions?

David G. Ullman
Robust Decisions
ullman at robustdecisions.com
541-754-3609