REFLECTOR: Not enough Trim authority

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Mon Nov 16 16:47:46 CST 2009

Scott,

Nope, we didn't have enough authority either, and reverted back to the factory system after trying the Strong system for several hours.  We worked with Alex a bit to try and get more trim authority but decided to get the plane tested before we messed with the trim any more.  I think Alex will work with us to get a solution, but shortly after completing our 40 hours we landed on a road, so we haven't gotten back to testing yet.  ;-)  I hope to, because it's a slick idea, we just need more trim than the current solution seems to offer, at least for our airplane (I know that Dave nelson is quite happy with his installation).

Brett

I was flying today after my latest change to the cooling system, oil and
cylinders.  Not quite right but much much better. Oil stayed around 185
when at 50%, came up to 205 after 10 minutes of  full throttle, I was
about 150 ROP.  It was settling in at 175-180 KIAS at 10,500, turning
2600 rpm.  Still have one cylinder running 45 degrees hotter than
everybody else.   I'm going to swap sensors and make sure that isn't the
problem.

I do have a problem with the trim.  I just don't have enough down trim
for cruise speeds.  If my indicated is 150kias or below its fine. I am
using the Strong System because I was under the impression it had a
wider range of trim than the factory design. Now I wonder.  I have
plenty of up trim on approach with single pilot but I haven't loaded up
the front yet(forward cg).  Still waiting for the new Catto prop before
I add any more ballast to the front seat.  I have the system installed
so its got about 60% down trim travel, and 40% up trim, so I'm already
over  compensated  for down trim.  The instructions call for 50/50.
I'm sending Alex an email to see what he recommends.

In the mean time I'm thinking about plan B, which is to reinstall the
factory trim, but stiffen up the spring somewhat to provide more trim
authority.  I'msomewhat reluctant because of the problem of runway trim
with a stronger spring.

What are the fast V's doing?  I had marginal trim before with the
factory spring, not quite enough down, just barely enough up with the
io360.  Thats why I changed to the Strong system.

Anybody else have this problem?  Solutions?

Scott