REFLECTOR: New Nose Gear (FG)

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 17:35:53 CST 2009

All,

I put the captivator plate back in its original holes. When I sent off my nose gear to the factory to have the gussets welded in it left with 3.5% of forward cant. It came back with .7 (Point-seven) % of cant.

If I shim behind the new bumper, the gear pivots on the upper bolt, slowly removing the forward cant that I no longer have much of. It is the easiest to try, but then I have to hope I have enough forward angle on the king pin.

I could always remake the captivator or re-drill the holes. Still, have to end up with the correct angle on the king pin.

I asked the factory if I was supposed to have that forward angle reference to all 3 wheels on the ground (normal resting mode), or making it "construction level" since they are different!  I never received a response. The manual has you do the gear install reference "construction level" but you would have to land nose gear first in my airplane to reach that attitude.

Nothing slipped on my system. I designed a different front tie down system that is ungodly strong, and flush. I cranked the nose gear into the rubber, then just slid the captivator into place. I had all sorts of room.

Thanks for the input.

Kurt