REFLECTOR: E-readers as Electronic Flight Bags

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Wed Nov 11 08:02:11 CST 2009

Terry,

I have a Kindle DX and it displays approach plates really well. Unlike the readers with smaller screens, the DX displays in the same dimensions as the printed version. I have a Sony PRS500 (same size as the 505 and the Kindle 1 and 2) and its screen was much too small to use for approaches. The numbers for the MDA and DH were almost unreadable. That's not a problem with the Kindle DX. There is no backlight, so plan on using cockpit lighting or a flashlight. The Kindle DX has enough memory (theoretically) to hold the entire set of domestic approaches (~3.5 GB).

Downloads are easy and free. Go to your favorite source of free PDF plates and download them to the Kindle DX via the included USB cord. (You cannot download or view PDFs over the built-in wireless connection - you must use a computer to transfer the files.)

On the Kindle main menu, you can enter the airport code as a search term and it will display all the files for that airport. If you want to switch to another approach, though, you have to re-enter the search term. If you're willing to pay for a service, there are several web sites that package all the approaches into one file for each airport, or one file for each region, which makes switching between approaches much easier. Some also offer downloadable weather and TFRs.

I have not used any of these services. So far I've just put the approaches I expect to use on the Kindle, and have a copy of the printed plates in my bag for emergencies.

Here's a video about the aviation uses of the Kindle DX posted by AVweb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3hzq2B4pDQ

A few of the paid services I mentioned above:
http://www.pdfplates.com/
http://readerplates.com
http://www.airbrief.com

Here's a free service: