REFLECTOR: Insurance Issue

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 18:16:23 CST 2009

"Insurance is going to kill GA as we know it, if something doesn't change.

I can't afford to fully insure my airplane. I have to self insure some
of it."

Scott

Insurance industry is killing itself. They are trying to recapture lost investment funds from the market
with stricter standards. Those standards are simply keeping folks from getting hull or buying planes. When
hull insurance costs 2K on a 70K plane that's like saying we believe you're going to have a 35 to 1 chance
each year you fly of totaling the plane. I had a Varieze nearly 20 years ago, it cost 90 bucks for a million
in liability. Got a neighbor with a Varieze who pays close to 400 bucks for a million liability. You can't
justify that with a cost of living argument as it's still a million you're paying for. The diff is we're paying
for poor money management in the insurance industry. Tom